Thursday, June 19, 2008

Nourishing Soup



I am a soup person!! I love soup. I make soup quite often. Since the weather here has turned a bit cooler (unusual for this time of year) and a bit dreary, I decided to make soup for dinner last night.
Everyone else in the family loves soup too, except my youngest child. For some reason he just won't eat soup (except he does eat my husband's matzo ball soup).

I have been trying very hard to get over a little sinus congestion, so I was craving some good brothy soup. I decided that something with homemade chicken stock, garlic and ginger would be a good thing to help knock this out of me. I did a quick search online and didn't really find what I was looking for, I was thinking of an Asian flavor soup, so I just created as I went, using an egg drop soup technique but adding my own combination of flavors.

It turned out great and my son who loves soup (Jeremy) begged for it for breakfast. Rachel, Jeremy and I had a bowl (or two) for breakfast, and I must say it was a great way to start the day!!

Here is what I did:

I heated up a pot of homemade chicken stock and added 2 large cloves of pressed garlic, about a tablespoon or so of grated ginger, a couple of tablespoons (estimates, I just poured) of organic tamari soy sauce, some redmond sea salt, and half a bag of mixed organic frozen veggies (carrots, corn, peas and green beans). I then chunked up some leftover roasted chicken (it was about a breast and a half of chicken) and put it in. I heated it up and tasted it, good but missing something. I added some more salt and a bunch of ground black pepper. DH tasted it and we decided it needed a few drops of fish sauce. I then turned off the heat and I streamed in two beaten eggs (local, organic, pastured eggs) slowly over the tines of a fork and stirred in a clockwise direction as the egg hit the broth. It was so good and very filling and nourishing. The egg ribbons were nice and silky and the soup was very tasty.

The kids loved it (except for Ben, who won't try anything called soup and ate plain chicken and some bologna for dinner). After dinner my husband said he felt so good that the soup really just made his whole body feel good and healthy!!

Lisa

No comments: